FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

tow pig (comments; suggestions)

Moderator: Moderators

<<

Chop Top

Stock Floored
Stock Floored

Post Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:07 pm

Id be all over a new duramax. I used to drive one where i worked trailerin the saw blades around up here. Plety of power to get up and go and to stop. And I did always feel safer ridin in that then a 1500 series.

But heres a question for anyone. Had anyone ever towed a lot with the older duallies with the 6.5 turbo diesel? What was that like?
Formerly avenge this

AA
<<

Easterby

Site Admin

Post Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:37 am

I have never driven one but I have heard that they are not as reliable as the Dmax's.
L8R
Eric
//NC\\ Delaware
<<

SoLow67GMC

Stock Floored
Stock Floored

Post Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:15 am

avenge this wrote:Id be all over a new duramax. I used to drive one where i worked trailerin the saw blades around up here. Plety of power to get up and go and to stop. And I did always feel safer ridin in that then a 1500 series.

But heres a question for anyone. Had anyone ever towed a lot with the older duallies with the 6.5 turbo diesel? What was that like?

guy i work with tows a 5th wheel travel trailer with one.. he says he loves it and wouldnt sell it.. looks like a bucket of shit to me but its working for him
- Dave-

heres some pictures of my new truck on dieselplace.com

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/garage.php?do=view&g=1647
<<

DragginV8dime

Drop Kit
Drop Kit

Post Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:50 pm

although not a fan of gas tow pigs, i have a 07 expedition daily and i towed my S10 on a 18ft trailer from Central VA to Myrtle beach, SC and it still got 15.5 MPG and acted like nothing was behind it
Brakes were the issue w.tht, def need a brake controller, which is a given...
i have one now, when i made tht trip expy was only a week old so... yea
If it don't drag, leave it at home
<<

lowrango

Bagged
Bagged

Post Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:34 pm

i had a 6.5 burban that i used to tow at times. the truck smoked real bad and lost alot of power when loaded up and traveling threw mountains. the 6.5 also needs a few upgrades before you take any long trips hauling stuff. mine would smoke like a bitch and run hot going up long stretches of mountain roads. otherwise did great. i sold that truck and bought an excursion with a 7.3 in it. plenty of power, no problems towing anything i have tried so far.

do a few searches on the 6.5. there are several upgrades people consider mandatory when getting the truck, especially when towing( upgraded fans, relocation of injector pump module, different cooling set up dependin gon year, etc.). mine had 342k when i bought it, sold it a year later with 368k or so. it never had a tow hitch attached before i bought it, and i never did any upgrades to it. just paid close attention to the gauges.
Previous

Return to Tow Pigs/Trailers