tow pig (comments; suggestions)

Moderator: Moderators

<<

Jeff AcrophobiA

Stock Floored
Stock Floored

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:48 am

CamberBrandt wrote:
1LOWDIESEL wrote:i guess i should have been more specific what i meant by no furds was no 6.0's ask brandt how many he's seen broken down on the side of the road w/ a trailer

Ive seen enough of them that I dont think id buy any ford because of it. Maybe they are fine, maybe they aren't. Ive seen enough of them broke im not gonna risk it.

Brandt.. What kind of MPG are you getting pulling? I know it differs trip to trip depending on the highways but whats the average? I have been getting anywhere between 18-21 so far this year. Not sure if thats good or not? All trips are different though depending of hills, traffic ect...
<<

GraphicDisorder

Site Admin

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:12 am

Jeff AcrophobiA wrote:
CamberBrandt wrote:
1LOWDIESEL wrote:i guess i should have been more specific what i meant by no furds was no 6.0's ask brandt how many he's seen broken down on the side of the road w/ a trailer

Ive seen enough of them that I dont think id buy any ford because of it. Maybe they are fine, maybe they aren't. Ive seen enough of them broke im not gonna risk it.

Brandt.. What kind of MPG are you getting pulling? I know it differs trip to trip depending on the highways but whats the average? I have been getting anywhere between 18-21 so far this year. Not sure if thats good or not? All trips are different though depending of hills, traffic ect...

I get about 12-13 rolling 75-85. We cant really compare mileage, your pulling a open trailer and im pulling a big brick. LOL. Im in the 20's unhooked.
<<

Jeff AcrophobiA

Stock Floored
Stock Floored

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:14 am

True True..
<<

TOYDLYF

Bagged
Bagged

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:17 am

that was another question i had..
brandt youve got the enclosed trailer..most folks have the open trailer..big difference in weight, handling, visibility and mpg?
enclosed seems alot better for the truck but there seems to be a few downfalls? 85 mph seems nuts for towing?!!!! does it sway?
i found a haulmark one for under 6 grand:
http://www.trailersforless.com/fay421_special.html

whats the difference between the ones that attach to the hitch and a gooseneck or 5th wheel.. i know one is the trailer ball in the middle of the bed and one looks like the hookup semi trucks use..any advantages to this?
seems like that would be for a real heavy load..maybe better handling? :wtf:

pursuing minitruck perfection...it's never done!!
<<

CT525

DONATING MEMBER

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:32 am

To be honest with you I grew up in florida on a farm hauling cattle produce etc. Hauling produce from Fl to OH thru the TN mountains etc etc. My dad has owned both trailers bumper and 5th wheel ones. I prefer pulling the 5th wheel goosneck ones only because you can turn alot more degrees and also the weight load sits on the axle vise those bumper ones. Goosenecks will run you more money but I feel they are worth it in the long run. Way easier to manuever. i would recommend getting one with electric brakes and having your truck equipped to handle electric brakes WAY SAFER.. well thats my 2cents worth hope it was of some help to you.
<<

GraphicDisorder

Site Admin

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:33 am

TOYDLYF wrote:that was another question i had..
brandt youve got the enclosed trailer..most folks have the open trailer..big difference in weight, handling, visibility and mpg?
enclosed seems alot better for the truck but there seems to be a few downfalls? 85 mph seems nuts for towing?!!!! does it sway?

whats the difference between the ones that attach to the hitch and a gooseneck or 5th wheel.. i know one is the trailer ball in the middle of the bed and one looks like the hookup semi trucks use..any advantages to this?

Only time ive ever had sway was when I needed new tires for the trailer.... never before and never after. Goose neck wouldn't be needed for a single car enclosed.. dont bother. But honestly if I had it all over to do again, id spend a few more k on a trailer and get one that could do 2 or 3 cars. The gas mileage is barely going to drop, and you can split gas with a friend(s) then. I kick myself all the time for that.

85 may seem nuts but I promise you you'd change your mind once you took a ride. We've towed faster than that before. I think Adam and me were rolling 90-95 a few times and ive been rolling other times that fast. Its so stable, stops great, and you honestly no bullshit can easily forget its back there. We roll that fast alot and all while watching DVDs and relaxing. Only way to travel.
<<

Easterby

Site Admin

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:40 am

Yeah 85 aint shit for towing. We regularly hit 100mph in the dually towing things. Get a tag along trailer wether its a open or enclosed. If you really think you may tow more the one truck which I doubt you can get a 5wheel rampdeck trailer and tow two easily and as B said split the gas.
L8R
Eric
//NC\\ Delaware
<<

drgn-hrdr-thn-ur-trk

Site Admin

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:47 am

CamberBrandt wrote:
TOYDLYF wrote:that was another question i had..

Only time ive ever had sway was when I needed new tires for the trailer.... never before and never after. Goose neck wouldn't be needed for a single car enclosed.. dont bother. But honestly if I had it all over to do again, id spend a few more k on a trailer and get one that could do 2 or 3 cars. The gas mileage is barely going to drop, and you can split gas with a friend(s) then. I kick myself all the time for that.

85 may seem nuts but I promise you you'd change your mind once you took a ride. We've towed faster than that before. I think Adam and me were rolling 90-95 a few times and ive been rolling other times that fast. Its so stable, stops great, and you honestly no bullshit can easily forget its back there. We roll that fast alot and all while watching DVDs and relaxing. Only way to travel.

ya we've had er up there a few times... but nothing like a trip w/ cavanaugh. i dont think that guy drops below 90-95mph.... :drive:
//NC\\ New Jersey
<<

GraphicDisorder

Site Admin

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:54 am

I guess what I enjoy most about the Diesel is not having to hear it down shift and struggle to get up hills or pass people. Its nice to hit the cruise through the hilly interstates and never hear the motor crying about it.
<<

TOYDLYF

Bagged
Bagged

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:02 pm

Thanks for all the quick replies...it's still maybe like 3-6 months away ..
gonna spend some time shopping my truck options and stuff 1st before just signing my life away :D

pursuing minitruck perfection...it's never done!!
PreviousNext

Return to Tow Pigs/Trailers