FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

tow pig (comments; suggestions)

Moderator: Moderators

<<

GraphicDisorder

Site Admin

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:21 pm

TOYDLYF wrote:Thanks for all the quick replies...it's still maybe like 3-6 months away ..
gonna spend some time shopping my truck options and stuff 1st before just signing my life away :D

Werd, my suggeston is drive all 3. Thats what ive done. I bought what I heard the less about of horror stories about and felt the best. Id personally put it as Chevy has the second best motor with the best tranny, Dodge with the best motor and the second best tranny, and Ford following up last. One thing I do love about the fords is the look, they look better than both the dodge and chevy im my opinion.

I highly suggest getting a 2 car trailer though and make sure the hauler is a crew cab. That way you can take the family or a friend and his vehicle and split the gas. That will add up over the years so fast.
<<

Jeff AcrophobiA

Stock Floored
Stock Floored

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:27 pm

While we are on the trailer ?'s... I just replaced two rear tires on mine because the were bald around the edges. I have had the tires on since 04 and put alot of miles on them. Someone told me you could by a Flatter type of tire instead of the normal crowned type of tire? Anyone know any truth to this? or if it really does make a difference? The crowned type of tire like i have seem to roll under the center when you make a turn... make any sense to anyone?
<<

drgn-hrdr-thn-ur-trk

Site Admin

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:55 pm

Jeff AcrophobiA wrote:While we are on the trailer ?'s... I just replaced two rear tires on mine because the were bald around the edges. I have had the tires on since 04 and put alot of miles on them. Someone told me you could by a Flatter type of tire instead of the normal crowned type of tire? Anyone know any truth to this? or if it really does make a difference? The crowned type of tire like i have seem to roll under the center when you make a turn... make any sense to anyone?

not sure about the shape of the tires...

i just replaced all 4 of mine w/ new radial tires (all mine were beat to hell). standard were bias ply tires. from what i understand bias ply are just an older technology & the radials will hold up better. i've got a few hundred miles on the new tires & so far so good. :wtf:
//NC\\ New Jersey
<<

GraphicDisorder

Site Admin

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:27 pm

Jeff AcrophobiA wrote:While we are on the trailer ?'s... I just replaced two rear tires on mine because the were bald around the edges. I have had the tires on since 04 and put alot of miles on them. Someone told me you could by a Flatter type of tire instead of the normal crowned type of tire? Anyone know any truth to this? or if it really does make a difference? The crowned type of tire like i have seem to roll under the center when you make a turn... make any sense to anyone?

Not sure either. You trying to flat track the trailer? LMAO. Ive seen very few tires like that on trailers, most all are rounded flavor. Get a better tire than what came on your trailer, chances are its a cheapo on there if it came that way. My enclosed trailer tires were underrated when I got them. New ones seem to be great after a few thousand miles still.
<<

wicked ranger

DONATING MEMBER

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:00 pm

I agree with the 6.0 statement. You can find a nice 7.3 diesel around with under a hundred thousand miles on it. Thats what i have and i love it. It is very reliable.
Its not hard to have the badest ranger out there. Just ask me how!!!!!!!!!
<<

CamberIN

DONATING MEMBER

Post Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:54 am

DMax all the Way :) all these guys with tundras and titans can't keep up with me. ya they pull fine but have fun being about 2 miles behind when im doing 90-95 and it doesn't even feel like im towing anything. I can back up Brandts statements...when i was looking he said get a DMAX and i have zero regrets!!!!!! IMO i would not get a ford or dodge...yes they are great trucks but you cannot beat the Allison Tranny!!!!!
-Scott-
<<

TOYDLYF

Bagged
Bagged

Post Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:28 am

first of all i wont be driving 95 mph
2nd i wont be towing at 95 mph

im really tied up right now on this...
i see where you guys are coming from....so im gonna test drive the chevy diesel in 2 weeks when i have the day off....
i already rented an 07 dcab tundra from here at work...its nice, but brandt made a good point about not having the tranny downshift and searching for gears esp through mountains on the interstate

i really hate to admit it but for towing this dmax may be the way to go...

pursuing minitruck perfection...it's never done!!
<<

GraphicDisorder

Site Admin

Post Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:43 am

TOYDLYF wrote:first of all i wont be driving 95 mph
2nd i wont be towing at 95 mph

im really tied up right now on this...
i see where you guys are coming from....so im gonna test drive the chevy diesel in 2 weeks when i have the day off....
i already rented an 07 dcab tundra from here at work...its nice, but brandt made a good point about not having the tranny downshift and searching for gears esp through mountains on the interstate

i really hate to admit it but for towing this dmax may be the way to go...

Dmax is a isuzu motor btw, so your still in a jap truck kinda lol. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again if I had to... I kinda find it funny when people say "how can you afford to buy a diesel to pull with?" I answer that with how much is your life worth? How much is your familys life worth? What price do you put on safety? Can you pull with a gas truck? Sure can, does that mean you can stop as fast, get out of the way as fast, or control your load as well? Doubt it, and lets not even get into the fact that you can dump 300-400-500,000 miles on one of these trucks and really not have to put that much money in them to do that.

Lets see a Tundra do that, as much as the Toyota guys would love to talk, the Tundra V8 is not a proven motor, while it might be great so far its not going to turn 500k miles and pull most of its life and still last that long. And im a Tundra fan, I wont bullshit its the most comfy truck ive been in, however I didn't buy my truck to have a rolling couch.

So remember when you make your choice, how much is your safety worth? Whats that price?
<<

TOYDLYF

Bagged
Bagged

Post Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:27 pm

its not about price cause it's almost the same
we have a sister store koons chevrolet here in tysons corner so i get employee price on that as well :nana:
but i agree with you as far as a workhorse the dmax will do it for a long time..
also the tundra is more appealing to the guy towin a boat or somethin on the weekend...not somebody towin 5000+ lbs every other weekend 400 miles at a time ...
semi trucks arent gas motors they are all diesel and for a reason
but working at toyota for the last 10years makes it strange to go elsewhere lol
its a natural progression, but i am gonna test drive it and I APPRECIATE ALL YOU GUYS' HONEST INPUT...so in 08 you may very well see the silver bullet towed in by that dmax!!

pursuing minitruck perfection...it's never done!!
<<

GraphicDisorder

Site Admin

Post Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:04 pm

I was with you, never bought american ever previous to the chevy. So I was not really for it, I test drove one and it was all over from there, I took it home same day.
PreviousNext

Return to Tow Pigs/Trailers