FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

What is the big deal about a Duramax?

Moderator: Moderators

<<

minitrucker29

Stock Floored
Stock Floored

Posts: 1307

Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:56 pm

Location: Owings mills

Post Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:33 am

What is the big deal about a Duramax?

I just wanted to know what is the big deal about a chevy duramax? I am looking at buying a used diesel soon. I just want to know what to look for, etc. I think I want to get the D-max. I really wanted a Cummins but the rest of the truck besides the motor feels really cheap and is going to fall apart. I am leaning more to the Chevy at this point because of the Allison Transmission. Plus I want to get 22 or mile to the gallon.

What can I expect out of one? I want to get an 05. What motor is that LBZ or LLY? What performance upgrades and companies do you prefer for this truck? I want to get the best bang for the buck. Could you guys help me out please.
<<

TOYDLYF

User avatar

Bagged
Bagged

Posts: 668

Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:36 am

Location: Winchester Virginia

Post Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:40 am

im actually startin to learn about em too...talked to a few people that have em, sounds like really the only maint is changing the fuel filter every 15k and the water seperator every 50k?? correct me if im wrong, but besides your reg oil changes and air filter, not too much else to it..maybe after 100k change glow plugs ( no sprk plugs obviously)
and yeah, the allison trans with the duramx motor is the way to go..real reliable from what i hear
Image

pursuing minitruck perfection...it's never done!!
<<

1LOWDIESEL

User avatar

DONATING MEMBER

Posts: 2439

Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 9:59 am

Location: CARTERET, NJ

Post Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:47 am

an 05 will have the lly. it's a very reliable motor and truck not a whole lot of problems with em'. go sign up for thedieselplace.com there is tons of info on there.
Kyle
xtremediesel.com ext 200
"friends don't let friends drive Fords"
Image
<<

wicked ranger

DONATING MEMBER

Posts: 1585

Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:50 pm

Location: glen burnie md

Post Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:48 pm

In my personal opinion what makes the chevy diesel truck so good is the tranny. I think that is why alot of people like them. Stock its the best tranny from the factory in any of the trucks. Remember something though, if you go trying to hop them up alot (not just a chip ) then you might end up needing a whole nother tranny. A aftermarket one would then be your best bet then.
Its not hard to have the badest ranger out there. Just ask me how!!!!!!!!!
<<

Shelly

User avatar

Site Admin

Posts: 4564

Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:54 am

Location: Schwenksville, PA

Post Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:05 pm

youll run into random crap like broken door locks, or speedometer quit working, so a warrenty would be awesome to have, but youll never have motor issues, it's a great truck, i love it. Make sure you check the injectors and make sure the harness isn't rubbing thru - something else to look for thats common.
Shelly
...It's not easy being a gingerkid.
<<

GraphicDisorder

User avatar

Site Admin

Posts: 6393

Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:56 pm

Location: Johnson City, TN

Post Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:19 pm

wicked ranger wrote:In my personal opinion what makes the chevy diesel truck so good is the tranny. I think that is why alot of people like them. Stock its the best tranny from the factory in any of the trucks. Remember something though, if you go trying to hop them up alot (not just a chip ) then you might end up needing a whole nother tranny. A aftermarket one would then be your best bet then.


Thats true of all diesel trucks though when making more power, the trannys will only hold so much and even just a programer is enough to mess up a tranny over time if abused. Trucks can take a beating but level 5 3,000rpm launches will only last so long before boom... lol.
<<

CamberIN

User avatar

DONATING MEMBER

Posts: 744

Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:44 pm

Location: STL

Post Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:20 pm

The LLY is the way to go. Best truck i have ever owned. Just like an other truck you will have maintain it. Its not that bad. I have fixed some of the little problems they have on my own. if you want to know all about them just go to the link.and trust me if you buy one you won't be disappointed after the first time you tow with it.

http://www.dieselplace.com
-Scott-
<<

CamberIN

User avatar

DONATING MEMBER

Posts: 744

Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:44 pm

Location: STL

Post Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:22 pm

CamberBrandt wrote:
wicked ranger wrote:In my personal opinion what makes the chevy diesel truck so good is the tranny. I think that is why alot of people like them. Stock its the best tranny from the factory in any of the trucks. Remember something though, if you go trying to hop them up alot (not just a chip ) then you might end up needing a whole nother tranny. A aftermarket one would then be your best bet then.


Thats true of all diesel trucks though when making more power, the trannys will only hold so much and even just a programer is enough to mess up a tranny over time if abused. Trucks can take a beating but level 5 3,000rpm launches will only last so long before boom... lol.


hahah this is true if you do get one get the Edge Juice with Attitude it will wake the truck up a little...but like brandt said be careful the tranny might go boom in level 5....lol
-Scott-
<<

Jeff AcrophobiA

User avatar

Stock Floored
Stock Floored

Posts: 1769

Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:28 am

Location: Wilkes-Barre, PA

Post Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:40 pm

Shelly wrote:youll run into random crap like broken door locks, or speedometer quit working, so a warrenty would be awesome to have, but youll never have motor issues, it's a great truck, i love it. Make sure you check the injectors and make sure the harness isn't rubbing thru - something else to look for thats common.


Had my injectors done two months ago.. All covered under warrenty.. Plus the upped the warrenty on the injectors to 250,000 or some shit like that..
<<

minitrucker29

Stock Floored
Stock Floored

Posts: 1307

Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:56 pm

Location: Owings mills

Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:04 am

Thanks guys for all your help. What are some good things about the Edge Juice with Additude?
Next

Return to Tow Pigs/Trailers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software.