FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

D-Max problem

Moderator: Moderators

<<

Chris(MobileWest)

DONATING MEMBER

Post Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:03 pm

D-Max problem

I just put stacks on my 04.5 D-Max on Wednesday, 4" pipe from right infront of where the cat was. Now it's throwing codes, we checked it today with a meter and it's throwing 2 codes about the exhaust none of them being EGT's, just something with the flow and power. The check engine light will turn off if I beat the piss out of it but as soon as i'm driving regular it comes back on. There are no other engine mods to the truck. Any idea how to deal with this problem or should I just not worry about it.
Explicit Image Offroad Club
<<

LittleFrannyCustoms

DONATING MEMBER

Post Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:23 pm

I don't know much about the D-max, or diesels for that matter, but just telling us that there are codes is like telling us you need a starter but not telling us what car or engine you have.

The codes will start with a P and then have 4 numbers after it, like P0301, or P1472 ETC.

If you tell us what code numbers you have then I can get the specific test that failed to set that code and get you a blow by blow on how to diagnose whats going on.

Did you eliminate the cats all-together?

Get back with the code numbers and we will go from there

Jon
<<

Chris(MobileWest)

DONATING MEMBER

Post Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:07 am

cat is eliminated, don't rember the code numbers exactly i had my friend check it a hour away from here, both codes dealt with exhaust flow and power. I beat the piss out of it again tonight and it's fine, I'm thinking if I add more air flow to the intake it should even it's self out. Any suggestions
<<

redsonoma97

DONATING MEMBER

Post Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:47 am

If you don't have a intake on that thing add on. It will probally help out. Sounds like the motor is sucking to hard on the intake. Or you can be running into a problem because you got rid of the cat. Talk to Kyle on here 1lowdiesel maybe he can help you out.
<<

SoLow67GMC

Stock Floored
Stock Floored

Post Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:14 am

i do believe the LLY motor needs the cat in.. they have a weird egr system... im not a mechanic either so i cant help to much i just know what i hear from other people... i ask all my Duramax questoins at "www.dieselplace.com... its a web fourm just for the duramax and there is alot of guys on there that are very helpful!! ask brandt.. he has an LLY and he put an exhaust on his.. i dont know if he took the cat off or not though!
- Dave-

heres some pictures of my new truck on dieselplace.com

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/garage.php?do=view&g=1647
<<

SoLow67GMC

Stock Floored
Stock Floored

Post Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:16 am

you can also block off the EGR valve on the LLY they make a plate for it.. not sure what else it does for the motor.. but seams like everyone with a LLY puts it on!
- Dave-

heres some pictures of my new truck on dieselplace.com

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/garage.php?do=view&g=1647
<<

GraphicDisorder

Site Admin

Post Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:57 am

I have no cat on mine, and its a LLY with MBRP 4 inch exhaust.
<<

Chris(MobileWest)

DONATING MEMBER

Post Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:00 pm

Brandt, have you had any problems with yours like this, also what programmer are you running. From what I've found it seems to be the EGR, I read somewhere that the PPE programmer elminates the code, or PPE makes a full kit to block it and elminate the code. Don't know if I want to spend the $400 on the kit or just buy a programmer which I'm gonna do anyway.
<<

GraphicDisorder

Site Admin

Post Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:14 pm

Chris(MobileWest) wrote:Brandt, have you had any problems with yours like this, also what programmer are you running. From what I've found it seems to be the EGR, I read somewhere that the PPE programmer elminates the code, or PPE makes a full kit to block it and elminate the code. Don't know if I want to spend the $400 on the kit or just buy a programmer which I'm gonna do anyway.

Mines never thrown a code due to the Cat being missing. Only issues ive had with mine is the fuel pressure issue which there is a fix for but im super lazy and it only pops up now and again. Hasn't in forever though so its not been a problem.
<<

1LOWDIESEL

DONATING MEMBER

Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:32 pm

yea the code your throwing is an egr code. it happends when you open up the exhaust and the egr valve senses too much exhaust flow. you can do the plate which is like $12. that will most likely stop the code also a programmer will do away w/ it as well. i have my bullydog for sale if you wanna do that. i had it on m ine no cat and no muffler and never kicked a code. i'll let that go for $250.

truth of the matter is some trucks do it and some don't. but the programmer will usually take care of it anyway.

another advantage of the blocker plate is the added amounts of throttle response b/c it stop the exhaust gasses from flowing back thu the turbo thus cleaning up the smoke, and giving you better fuel mileage.
Kyle
xtremediesel.com ext 200
"friends don't let friends drive Fords"
Next

Return to Tow Pigs/Trailers