cheaper to tow? i think it really is..

Moderator: Moderators

<<

baggd

17 Inch Wheels
17 Inch Wheels

Post Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:10 pm

cheaper to tow? i think it really is..

so i got bored and did some math while figuring out some shit for next show season. turns out for me at least it seems to be cheaper by a few bucks to just tow my s10 rather then trailer it.

s10- runs on super, gets aprox 15mpg on stock 4.3 with some bolt ons.

ram- runs on diesel, gets aprox 17mpg on stock 5.9 with some bolt ons while pulling the trailer with my s10 on it.

in the summer, diesel is cheaper then regular, so technically, unless theres a shitload of tolls (they seem to duoble when i go through with the trailer) its actually CHEAPER for me to tow.

these are realistic gas mileage numbers that i figured out with a calculator and some gas receipts and whatnot from last year. even if you want to figure in wear and tare on the vehicles its still cheaper. the tires on my s10 and tires on my ram are similar in price, and when i bought the ram i also bought all my oil changes at 1/2 price from the dealer so thats roughly the same price also.

i guess this is just one more excuse i have when i get the "why dont you just drive it" crap from people. im saving money!!!
<<

BlackS10ss

DONATING MEMBER

Post Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:37 pm

My AAA Visa gives me 3% back on gas purchases at the pump I get a gallon of gas for free if gas is cheap... :eek:
KennY
_-Grounded 4 Life-_
<<

redsonoma97

DONATING MEMBER

Post Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:17 am

Re: cheaper to tow? i think it really is..

baggd wrote:so i got bored and did some math while figuring out some shit for next show season. turns out for me at least it seems to be cheaper by a few bucks to just tow my s10 rather then trailer it.

s10- runs on super, gets aprox 15mpg on stock 4.3 with some bolt ons.

ram- runs on diesel, gets aprox 17mpg on stock 5.9 with some bolt ons while pulling the trailer with my s10 on it.

in the summer, diesel is cheaper then regular, so technically, unless theres a shitload of tolls (they seem to duoble when i go through with the trailer) its actually CHEAPER for me to tow.

these are realistic gas mileage numbers that i figured out with a calculator and some gas receipts and whatnot from last year. even if you want to figure in wear and tare on the vehicles its still cheaper. the tires on my s10 and tires on my ram are similar in price, and when i bought the ram i also bought all my oil changes at 1/2 price from the dealer so thats roughly the same price also.

i guess this is just one more excuse i have when i get the "why dont you just drive it" crap from people. im saving money!!!
Just keep in mind when I tow its a 2 car trailer with 2 trucks on it. Not 1 truck no sence in bring out the big trailer for 1 truck! And with diesel the price it is now it makes sence to just drive the mitsu and leave the sonoma at home.
<<

BlackS10ss

DONATING MEMBER

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:07 pm

Yo Baggd you also gotta put the tolls into play also...More axles higher toll...
KennY
_-Grounded 4 Life-_
<<

Chris..

Site Moderator

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:29 pm

might be cheaper... but nowhere near as much fun!!

I havent driven a bagged truck to shows in a yr or so and hate it!!! I feel like a damn outsider with a trailer behind my tow pig!!!
C10 will be done NEVER!!!? show season be on the look out!!!! SOLD!!!!!!!
<<

redsonoma97

DONATING MEMBER

Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:34 am

Chris.. wrote:might be cheaper... but nowhere near as much fun!!

I havent driven a bagged truck to shows in a yr or so and hate it!!! I feel like a damn outsider with a trailer behind my tow pig!!!

I'm in the same boat before the mitsu I never drove the sonoma to a show ever. Its always been a trailer queen. It sucks!! Now I have the mitsu I can finally roll to a show with out a trailer.
Ben //NC\\ PA
<<

CT525

DONATING MEMBER

Post Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:16 pm

yes but you just bought that new long trailer ben so you gotta put it to use or rent it out to peopl lol
<<

88S10_Blazer

DONATING MEMBER

Post Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:03 pm

factor in the cost of the tow pig and the trailer and its a lot cheaper to drive it. and you can't drag your tow pig down the highway either, well except for adam and his dodge, haha.

why are you running super through your stock 4.3 if you don't mind me asking?
Carl.
http://www.myspace.com/7711952

If you didn't build it with your own two hands, its not really yours.
<<

GraphicDisorder

Site Admin

Post Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:11 pm

88S10_Blazer wrote:factor in the cost of the tow pig and the trailer and its a lot cheaper to drive it. and you can't drag your tow pig down the highway either, well except for adam and his dodge, haha.

why are you running super through your stock 4.3 if you don't mind me asking?

Guess it depends on the situation. Most show rides will not support more than 2 people and even then they dont have room for bags or stuff.
<<

88S10_Blazer

DONATING MEMBER

Post Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:21 pm

definitely not saying its a comfortable ride with 2 people with clothes and tools in my truck, haha. and that was last year with pretty much no interior so shit could slide around. this year is going to be interesting once i get it all finished up, got a space reserved for a bit of storage. just need to pack light and bring only vital tools.
Carl.
http://www.myspace.com/7711952

If you didn't build it with your own two hands, its not really yours.
Next

Return to Tow Pigs/Trailers