looking at buying a car trailer soon

Moderator: Moderators

<<

mister880

Drop Kit
Drop Kit

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:08 pm

looking at buying a car trailer soon

so i went and browsed around at some car trailers today.. few questions on them.

will an 18 foot trailer fit my 2001 ex cab s10 with no problem? the trailer i will most likely be buying will be solid steel deck, 4 ft dove tail, 7,000 gvw w/ 15" tires. the place wants 2,750$ plus the tax and tags for it. the trailer is brand new.

how will i go about strapping my s10 down being that it is bagged and i'll be laying it out on the trailer.

any information you guys could give me would be appreciated, i will be using the trailer to tow more then just my s10, but my s10 will probably be the biggest vehicle i'd be towing on it.

i personally would like to get a solid deck, just being that i may use the trailer to help people move, ATVs and other odds and ends. having an open deck, really limits what you can use the trailer for.

thanks for all the help!
01 chevy s10, bagged, shaved, 2 tone paint.
<<

Chop Top

Stock Floored
Stock Floored

Post Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:28 pm

Re: looking at buying a car trailer soon

comin from experience dont bother with a open deck. I thought itd be a good idea last yr for some reason and hated every damn minute with that thing. the 18 foot will fit a ext truck easy laid out. stick 2/4 under the frame rails then just strap it down. Some go thru the wheels, some strap the body itself down. I think its a lot of personal preference and what works best for ya
Formerly avenge this

AA
<<

Chris..

Site Moderator

Post Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:36 pm

Definitely agree on that. Solid deck is definitely the way to go, and 18ft is more than long enough. I've used 16' trailers forever without any problems. As for strapping it, many (including myself) usually strap the truck, tighten it some... then air it out either on the frame/rocker or on 2x4's as ChopTop said and then just retighten the straps to make sure theyre still tight and youre good to go.
C10 will be done NEVER!!!? show season be on the look out!!!! SOLD!!!!!!!
<<

mister880

Drop Kit
Drop Kit

Post Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:08 pm

over the research i've done today and last night i definately want a solid steel deck. the trailer i am looking at is made by premier model # FD182. is $2,750 a fair price for an 18" solid steel hauler?

i also seen that it is recommended to get a electronic brake controller as well? obviously i will need to wire up a 7 prong since the trailer is equipped with brakes on the wheels. i'll be towing with a 1997 silverado k1500.
01 chevy s10, bagged, shaved, 2 tone paint.
<<

Silver Jogger

DONATING MEMBER

Post Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:04 am

as these guys said put 2x4s under frame a strap her down, as far as the solid deck, mine was a open deck and i loved it, it really came in handy to just put the truck up on and work on it underneath, and when we went to move stuff we had peices of ply wood we made to fit and it worked great.
-------Acrophobia------
----Delaware Chapter----

Return to Tow Pigs/Trailers