FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Ratchet Straps / Tie Downs: To cross, or not to cross?

Moderator: Moderators

<<

royalblueblood

DONATING MEMBER

Post Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:31 pm

Ratchet Straps / Tie Downs: To cross, or not to cross?

So the age old question, cross the straps in an x-pattern, or run them straight? I have seen people do it either way, and i have seen people do an x up front and straight in the back. Anyone wanna offer up their thoughts? I dont want to start a fight here over who is wrong or rite. Just what works for you?
<<

phat bill

Drop Kit
Drop Kit

Post Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:38 pm

Re: Ratchet Straps / Tie Downs: To cross, or not to cross?

I would do an x in the rear and straight up front if you want you can also spring for tire straps and that would eliminate your ned for straps to the frame maybe one up front as a saftey but that's all I use wheel straps for towing and on a. Bagged or juiced vehicle it works out better cause its not gonna loosen when you drop it to the trailer jut a suggestion
<<

meltingplastic

17 Inch Wheels
17 Inch Wheels

Post Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:28 pm

I cross both my fronts and rears. On the fronts i use t hooks and hook into the factory tow points. On the rear i have tiedowns with built in axle straps and just go across my diff. I used to use the factory tow point there but after slicing a strap on my exhaust tip i stopped that I also lay the truck out on the trailer so it doesnt move anywhere
Mike
Captain of the SS Fail Boat
Grounded 4 Life "Only the bad ones get grounded"
<<

AfterhoursFab

DONATING MEMBER

Post Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:53 pm

cross front and rear if you can, its much more secure than straight straps because its triangulating the truck to the trailer.
http://www.afterhoursfabrication.com

Direct distributor of Lowrider Depot, Airlift Co, and The Hoffman Group products.
<<

Thehighanlowlife

DONATING MEMBER

Post Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:50 pm

Im in the towing industry and from what I have learned and picked up on over time is... Depending on how you are tieing your vehicle down Criss cross and strait straps willlll make a difference. IF you are using T-hooks/R-hooks/Mini Js to your factory T-hook slots criss crossing your straps will make a difference! Basically if you are tieing your vehicle down from the body or frame and you criss cross your straps what it is doing is A.)Sucking the car down low to the deck B.) the vehicle is being pulled right and being left. Which cuts down on your body roll when making turns. Which when you have a vehicle on a car and your boogieing and making hard lane changes or turns body roll is going to play effect on your trailer an cause it to sway. Now for you guys who like to run straps through your wheels and lay the trucks out on the deck... theres absolutely no point in cross crossing your straps because theres no body roll situation lol
<<

AcroPozzi

Featured Ride
Featured Ride

Post Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:11 pm

i always cross the straps and also lay my truck out on the rocker and strap it down. mike lays his out on blocks, this works for him but we have had the blocks move before.. i used to lay mine out on blocks and it would also jump off so now i lay it out. we can roll underneath the trailer so it makes it super easy to strap em down. especially with a creeper..
my step pop tows his t-bucket in an enclosed and he crosses the rear and runs em straight for the front. i think as long as you have at least 2 crossed your good..
AcrophobiA
<<

royalblueblood

DONATING MEMBER

Post Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:30 pm

the way my engine cross member ties in to my frame and control arms, its easier to run them straight in the front and crossed in the rear, i was fine all the way up to Detroit and back, so ill keep them like that untill i have reason to change it. Thanks for the imput guys

Return to Tow Pigs/Trailers