FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Towing with a 1500?

Moderator: Moderators

<<

DowntimeDesigns

DONATING MEMBER

Post Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:30 am

Towing with a 1500?

OBVIOUSLY I would love to have an F-350 Crewcab Dually to tow my truck with...

But I work in Baltimore city, where a dually just isn't going to fly. So I'm contemplating a 1500 Silverado/Sierra or an F150. I know its not ideal for towing my truck, but is it even worth looking into?
<<

GraphicDisorder

Site Admin

Post Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:33 pm

Re: Towing with a 1500?

DowntimeDesigns wrote:OBVIOUSLY I would love to have an F-350 Crewcab Dually to tow my truck with...

But I work in Baltimore city, where a dually just isn't going to fly. So I'm contemplating a 1500 Silverado/Sierra or an F150. I know its not ideal for towing my truck, but is it even worth looking into?

You dont have to get a dually to get a diesel, you dont need a dually to pull a single truck or even two trucks. Dually would be over kill.

Open trailer it will do it, it will struggle on hills, you will get poor mileage, and you will wear out that truck over time. But yes it will do it. Personally having towed with 1500's all the way to 3500's I dont think id want to do it regularlly it wasn't a 2500 at least. Look at a 2500 gas truck if you dont want a diesel.

If you plan to do it a lot, and want the safest most enjoyable trip, look at a diesel in any of the big 3's flavors. You will never look at towing the same again and your trips will be a lot more enjoyable.

<<

meltingplastic

17 Inch Wheels
17 Inch Wheels

Post Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:50 pm

Matt,
I tow mine with a 1500 silverado (5.3) and an open deck 18" brimar and have no issues. Do I get the greatest milage towing, no, but it serves it purpose and makes the ride enjoyable. With working in the city etc, a dually would be crazy, even parking a ext cab fullsize sucks(though parking in nyc may be different than in balt) but its do able.

Get what you like and what your comfortable in, if your gonna daily it, if its just a tow pig, get a cheap used 2500
Mike
Captain of the SS Fail Boat
Grounded 4 Life "Only the bad ones get grounded"
<<

phatfarmer2

DONATING MEMBER

Post Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:55 pm

pulled a 18" trailer and my blazer with a regular cab long bed sierra 1500 with a 4.8 v8 it lived up to the task with no problem..
G4L
"continuing where the factory left off"
v8, bagged, body dropped, shaved... driven......
<<

lowbdgtwgn

DONATING MEMBER

Post Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:42 pm

I had an F-150 Super Crew - I towed an open trailer with 1 truck/car many times and never really had issues other than it really dogging out out long climbing hills. But even then it wasn't really a huge deal. I also towed a 26' enclosed with my s10 from South Carloina to PA. It struggled on any hill, but was OK.

I would say open trailer, no problem with 1500 or F150.
Justin D
'92 Caprice Wagon
<<

Silver Jogger

DONATING MEMBER

Post Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:56 pm

GraphicDisorder wrote:
DowntimeDesigns wrote:OBVIOUSLY I would love to have an F-350 Crewcab Dually to tow my truck with...

You dont have to get a dually to get a diesel, you dont need a dually to pull a single truck or even two trucks. Dually would be over kill.

Open trailer it will do it, it will struggle on hills, you will get poor mileage, and you will wear out that truck over time. But yes it will do it. Personally having towed with 1500's all the way to 3500's I dont think id want to do it regularlly it wasn't a 2500 at least. Look at a 2500 gas truck if you dont want a diesel.

If you plan to do it a lot, and want the safest most enjoyable trip, look at a diesel in any of the big 3's flavors. You will never look at towing the same again and your trips will be a lot more enjoyable.

Man thats a good lookin trailer!
-------Acrophobia------
----Delaware Chapter----

<<

GraphicDisorder

Site Admin

Post Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:32 pm

Silver Jogger wrote:
GraphicDisorder wrote:

Yes it is, its a whore though... lol.
<<

redsonoma97

DONATING MEMBER

Post Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:20 pm

GraphicDisorder wrote:
Silver Jogger wrote:
GraphicDisorder wrote:

Yes it is, its a whore though... lol.

Yeah it is!
Ben //NC\\ PA
<<

tucking22s

17 Inch Wheels
17 Inch Wheels

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:10 am

I tow with my 2500 Diesel, and its definitely overkill, but I like that. A LOT of people tow minitrucks with 1500s. Crewcab dually 3500 diesels are overkill for towing a single vehicle, especially on an open trailer. The wind resistence on an enclosed trailer is SILLY. With my sierra i never even felt the s-10 on an open trailer. But I feel it with my enclosed, and so does my gas mileage. So i guess my ultimate suggestion is this:

If towing a single vehicle on an open trailer: 1500 gas is fine
if towing a single vehicle on an enclosed trailer: 1500 will do the job, but a diesel 2500/3500 would be nicer.
Anything more definitely get a 2500/3500 diesel

Only Time getting a dually is worth it is if you are running a 3 car wedge trailer or something MASSIVE.
<<

GraphicDisorder

Site Admin

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:48 am

Something else to consider is resale value or how long you want it to last. The great thing about a diesel is you can put 2-3-4-5x the miles on one that you can get out of most gas trucks, and they have a much higher resale than a gas truck.
Next

Return to Tow Pigs/Trailers