FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Towing with a 1500?

Moderator: Moderators

<<

Silver Jogger

User avatar

DONATING MEMBER

Posts: 2365

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:27 pm

Location: Claymont, DE

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:12 am

Re: Towing with a 1500?

^^^Couldnt have said it better....and about the trailer being alil whorish :D
-------Acrophobia------
----Delaware Chapter----

Image
<<

royalblueblood

User avatar

DONATING MEMBER

Posts: 2227

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:06 am

Location: Wilkes-Barre PA

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:25 am

Re: Towing with a 1500?

Matt, i used to tow with Mikies Silverado 1500 v6! Now that was tough but if you get a v8 and a few simple mods you can tow easily. Im using a 2500HD 6.0 gas, its overkill for a gas engine but i got it for an extreamly good price, it has a ton of power and will easily go 200,000 plus. At Penske we use the GMC 6.0 in all our cube vans and trust me, rental customers are not easy on equipment. Good luck with the search!
<<

johnboy72

Drop Kit
Drop Kit

Posts: 10

Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:30 am

Post Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:24 am

Re: Towing with a 1500?

Penske, hook a brother up! I've actually been looking for a F250 and up for a winter rat, plow truck and tow pig. I've been looking on http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com for the lower end models like XLs. Hell I've even gone to look for used fleet trucks and rental trucks for sale. Found some good deals. But so far some of these guys really have nailed it. 1500 will handle that single open trailer just fine. If it's a truck you'll own for awhile, I'd consider a trailer brake and maybe a trans cooler.
<<

Chris(MobileWest)

DONATING MEMBER

Posts: 117

Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:04 am

Location: Ruby, SC/ formally Nescopeck, PA

Post Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:54 pm

Re: Towing with a 1500?

I've owned 3 different Silverados 5.3, 6.0, and 6.6 diesel. Thru testing all three of course the diesel pulls the best, but the 5.3 1500 pulled alot better than the 6.0 2500. I had the 6.0 less than 11 months, pulled with it one time and traded it in a week later on the diesel which was 2 years older.
Explicit Image Offroad Club
<<

///RA Bobby

User avatar

DONATING MEMBER

Posts: 551

Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:44 am

Location: Maryland

Post Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:22 pm

Re: Towing with a 1500?

ur pullin a colorado not a skid loader youll be fine besides the fact you dont do any of your own work disel maintence cost more and when somthin goes wrong better be ready to pay cause you will be at the mercy of whoever is repairing it
Proud Member of Team Awesome
<<

royalblueblood

User avatar

DONATING MEMBER

Posts: 2227

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:06 am

Location: Wilkes-Barre PA

Post Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:56 am

Re: Towing with a 1500?

Chris(MobileWest) wrote:I've owned 3 different Silverados 5.3, 6.0, and 6.6 diesel. Thru testing all three of course the diesel pulls the best, but the 5.3 1500 pulled alot better than the 6.0 2500. I had the 6.0 less than 11 months, pulled with it one time and traded it in a week later on the diesel which was 2 years older.


I agree Chris, my 6.0l 2500 HD didnt impress me, i like my 1500 5.3 bettter!
<<

zero2185

Posts: 2

Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:56 pm

Post Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: Towing with a 1500?

still cant beat the look of a dually for a tow pig! haha miss that sucker!
Attachments
DSC00598_1.jpg
<<

4scottyt

User avatar

Drop Kit
Drop Kit

Posts: 12

Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:35 am

Location: Middle River, MD

Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:53 pm

Re: Towing with a 1500?

I'm using a Sequoia with a 4.7L V-8 to tow my truck on a 16' open trailer. The only place I notice the extra weight of the trailer is on hills but even then it's not terrible. On the ride to and from TN I got between 12 and 13 miles per gallon and was able to keep up with the diesels just fine. Comparatively speaking, I was getting about the same mpg's with the v8 and open trailer as Adam did with his 2500 diesel and enclosed trailer.

Granted a diesel with an open trailer would be better on mpg's but it is possible to tow just fine with a non-diesel non-hd truck.
J.C.

'93 S-10
Building in Memory of Scott Tipton (SCOTTYT)
<<

Pek215

DONATING MEMBER

Posts: 1340

Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:22 am

Location: Philly

Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:49 pm

Re: Towing with a 1500?

zero2185 wrote:still cant beat the look of a dually for a tow pig! haha miss that sucker!


Love that dually....its getting a bed put on it as I post this!!!
Common Treads magazine...get your copy today!!
<<

tenagator

User avatar

Featured Ride
Featured Ride

Posts: 2770

Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:41 am

Location: wilkes barre, pa

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:50 pm

Re: Towing with a 1500?

johnboy72 wrote:Penske, hook a brother up! I've actually been looking for a F250 and up for a winter rat, plow truck and tow pig. I've been looking on http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com for the lower end models like XLs. Hell I've even gone to look for used fleet trucks and rental trucks for sale. Found some good deals. But so far some of these guys really have nailed it. 1500 will handle that single open trailer just fine. If it's a truck you'll own for awhile, I'd consider a trailer brake and maybe a trans cooler.



check this site out...trucks are listed and it always changes
http://equip-used.com/
i been referencing it alot on doing research for things for my business.
PreviousNext

Return to Tow Pigs/Trailers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software.