FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Dumb computer monitor question

Moderator: Moderators

<<

B-Line

DONATING MEMBER

Post Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:20 am

Dumb computer monitor question

Been having some trouble with my old Dell lately. When I go to turn everything on, the screen is black, and the monitor power light just flashes. If I hit one of the control buttons on the monitor, it pops up a window saying the monitor is in power save mode, and to turn off the power save mode using my pc. How the heck am I to do that if I can't see anything else on the monitor itself? I had to unplug the whole thing 7 times tonight to get it to work. Any ideas? I'm pretty computer illiterate so dumb things like this confuse the heck outta me. Thanks for any suggestions.
<<

CandyCaneS10

DONATING MEMBER

Post Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:35 am

Re: Dumb computer monitor question

Video card problem? Sounds like the monitor isnt seeing anything coming from the card.
DALE
<<

B-Line

DONATING MEMBER

Post Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:59 pm

Whats a video card? Is that like an external usb card? Theres nothing plugged in the front, it just wont work from the get go.
<<

dmp

Site Admin

Post Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:34 pm

B-Line wrote:Whats a video card? Is that like an external usb card? Theres nothing plugged in the front, it just wont work from the get go.

Video Card is where the monitor plugs into the computer. Below is a new dell computer, the monitor in most cases in plugged into the ' blue ' square on the left side, bottom ( to the right of the teal square ). I will agree it does appear like its getting nothing from the computer.

<<

B-Line

DONATING MEMBER

Post Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:05 am

K thanks guys, I'll fiddle with the connection and see what happens tomaro.
<<

B-Line

DONATING MEMBER

Post Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:00 am

Well all the jigglin' in the world didn't fix it lol, so I assume its inside the cpu itself?
<<

rcoolb2002

17 Inch Wheels
17 Inch Wheels

Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:49 pm

If it is a Dell computer, the "video card" is actually a chipset on your motherboard. You can buy a REAL video card, and use it in one of your expansion slots, but it doesnt seem like you have the knowledge to necessarily open your computer up and start bolting stuff inside of it :eek: Maybe take it to a computer shop. If you buy the video card from them, they will probably install it for pretty cheap.

Cosby # 25 ... Honda Cosby
<<

B-Line

DONATING MEMBER

Post Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:50 am

Yeah, you're right, I don't know what I'm doing past this forum and myspace. But I did find a thing inside the control panel for a sleep setting for the monitor. Well I turned it off. It still acted up for a day or so later, but then straigtened out. So don't know if I managed to accually accomplish something, or it fixed itself. Its working now at least.
<<

CamberIN

DONATING MEMBER

Post Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:59 pm

B-Line wrote:Yeah, you're right, I don't know what I'm doing past this forum and myspace. But I did find a thing inside the control panel for a sleep setting for the monitor. Well I turned it off. It still acted up for a day or so later, but then straigtened out. So don't know if I managed to accually accomplish something, or it fixed itself. Its working now at least.

What is the model number of your dell. If it is a GX270 model the caps on the mother board will go bad, it is a known issue. I have also seen this in other models. Open up the case and check all the caps and if they are dome shaped or have orange crap coming out of them you are screwed.

Also do any orange lights show up on the front? There is also A,B,C,D on the back where everything hooks up to are any of those lit up after you leave it on for a mintue or two?
-Scott-

Return to Computers/Tech Toys