S10 pinion angle

Moderator: Moderators

<<

Layin'low

Drop Kit
Drop Kit

Post Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:29 pm

S10 pinion angle

I have a 97 s10 long bed single driveshaft.. In a few weeks Im bagging the rear going to do the thorebeck bros 3 link was woundering if anyone had tips on how to set the pinion angle and also should I weld the tabs for the lower bars at a perfect up and down 90 degree angle?
<<

AfterhoursFab

DONATING MEMBER

Post Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:24 am

Re: S10 pinion angle

The tabs do not end up at 90°, the proper way to install the kit is to bolt on the diff bracket, wishbone, and crossmember, set the axle on jackstands at ride height and set the pinion angle. Then relocate the lower spring hangers, set the lower bars to the specified length, then swing the bars up with the tabs attached and tack them in place.

For the pinion, set it at 2-3° up with the frame at 0°. The reason I say this is because the trans is about 4° down, and you want equal but opposite at the pinion, within 2°. So it can be from 2-6° and it will be fine but you want it on the lower side so your operating angle at the driveshaft isnt too high.
http://www.afterhoursfabrication.com

Direct distributor of Lowrider Depot, Airlift Co, and The Hoffman Group products.
<<

Layin'low

Drop Kit
Drop Kit

Post Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:41 pm

Ok thanks!.. Pinion angle is starting to make more sense but I think once I get the bed off and start actually looking at in instead of trying to picture it in my head it will make sense.. My main question right now is does the rear move when you air up and air down or will it stay in the same position?
<<

AfterhoursFab

DONATING MEMBER

Post Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:48 pm

The 3link will keep the pinion at a pretty constant angle but you always want to set it at ride height since thats where it matters. If youre unsure of where your ride height is, set it with the link bars parallel to the ground.

Direct distributor of Lowrider Depot, Airlift Co, and The Hoffman Group products.
<<

Layin'low

Drop Kit
Drop Kit

Post Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:55 pm

Ok i think I'm beginning to get a grasp on it.. I usually ride pretty low but there are some roads around here where I'm going to want to lift up a little on.. If I set my bars parrellel to the ground will it allow me to ride at almost any height without problems?

Also I heard the old style kit doesn't fit long beds.. Will the new style kit fit a long bed?
<<

AfterhoursFab

DONATING MEMBER

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:58 pm

Ya youll be fine no matter where you ride. Both kits fit long beds, the 5link does not fit without modifying the rear crossmembers a bit.

Return to Minis