Drop Kit
Drop Kit

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:16 pm

Re: Towing with a 1500?

<<

RickeyT

Post Tue May 31, 2011 2:40 pm

4scottyt wrote:I'm using a Sequoia with a 4.7L V-8 to tow my truck on a 16' open trailer. The only place I notice the extra weight of the trailer is on hills but even then it's not terrible.

I've always wondered about Toyota trucks and SUVs for towing. Does the Sequoia have the same engine and frame as the Tundra truck? I know Toyota is known for long-lasting cars and trucks but wonder how they stand up to being tow vehicles?

I was looking at trailers at Trailers Plus and was wondering if the enclosed trailers get better mileage because of the wind deflection or worse mileage because of the weight?
Last edited by RickeyT on Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rickey T - Low and rollin'.
<<

blazerxtreme18

17 Inch Wheels
17 Inch Wheels

Post Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:33 pm

i tow the blazer with a ext cab silvy 5.3...got the hellwig air helpers and a class 5 hitch pulls my 18ft open deck perfect..not to bad on gas either..
<<

4scottyt

Drop Kit
Drop Kit

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:41 am

RickeyT wrote:
4scottyt wrote:I'm using a Sequoia with a 4.7L V-8 to tow my truck on a 16' open trailer. The only place I notice the extra weight of the trailer is on hills but even then it's not terrible.

I've always wondered about Toyota trucks and SUVs for towing. Does the Sequoia have the same engine and frame as the Tundra truck? I know Toyota is known for long-lasting cars and trucks but wonder how they stand up to being tow vehicles?

So far as I know the frame and engine are the same between the two.

As for a tow vehicle, I've been nothing but pleased with it. Just towed with it two weekends ago to Ocean City, MD and with flat roads all the way I would forget I had the trailer attached until I looked back and saw an S-10 tailgating really close to me lol. Also with that drive I hit 15mpg's at one point. It's also extremely comfortable.

The truck I'm using is a 2001 with 145k miles that has taken a family of 5 on many long road trips, moved 3 kids to and from college, etc... and it's still running strong. We'll see how it does the rest of the summer when I take it to more shows.
J.C.

'93 S-10
Building in Memory of Scott Tipton (SCOTTYT)
Previous

Return to Tow Pigs/Trailers